FAO motors loses US$33,000 cash to 7 armed robbers as police arrest 8 men for stealing Wicknell Chivayo’s US$74,000 lobola money

0

Harare – A brazen armed robbery at FAO Motors in Mt Pleasant has resulted in the theft of US$33,000, while in a separate incident, police have to date arrested eight suspects in connection with the robbery of US$74,000 from the in-laws of businessman Wicknell Chivayo in Marondera. These incidents highlight a worrying trend of armed robberies targeting both businesses and individuals across the country.

According to Harare provincial police spokesperson Inspector Luckmore Chakanza, the FAO Motors robbery occurred when a group of seven men armed with a pistol and FN rifles approached the security guards on duty.

“Police are investigating an armed robbery case in Mt Pleasant,” said Insp Chakanza.

The robbers, targeting the car parts company, subdued the three Guard Alert security guards on duty. The robbers approached two guards at the front of the workshop, ordering them to remain silent. One of the robbers pointed a firearm at the guards, untied their shoelaces, and used them to tie the two guards before ordering them to lie down.

One robber was left guarding the two guards while the other six proceeded to the main guardroom. There, they took the other guard, tied him with shoelaces, and ordered him to lie down on his stomach.

“The accused persons broke the car parts company door using an unknown object to gain entry into the workshop and proceeded to the finance office. They blasted two safes and stole cash amounting to US$33 000 from one of the safes, the other safe had no cash and they went away,” he said.

In a separate, but equally concerning case, five more suspects from Chitungwiza appeared in court on Friday, accused of robbing Mr Wicknell Chivayo’s in-laws of US$74,000 at their farm in Marondera. Garikai Shangwa (43), Temptation Gerald Dinhidza (44), Arnold Tafirei (38), Tawanda Mushayatu (45) and Mike Mhaka (45) appeared before regional magistrate Mrs Marehwanazvo Gofa, each facing two counts of robbery. Only the High Court can grant bail in robbery cases, and the five were remanded in custody to April 10.

These arrests bring the total number of suspects who have appeared in court in connection with the Marondera robbery to eight, following the arraignment of Peter Maramba Vhiya (39) and Takudzwa Maisvoreva (24) last week. Adding another layer of intrigue to the case, a Constable Mukuva from Kopje police station has allegedly gone on the run after being linked to the armed raid. Law enforcement sources revealed that the constable is suspected of involvement in the robbery, which targeted the US$74,000 that was reportedly part of the cash Chivayo paid as lobola for his wife Lulu Muteke. The pair will be jointly charged with another suspect already in custody when they return to court on April 10.

Prosecutor Mr Lancelot Mutsokoti told the court that on March 18, at around 1 am, the eight suspects, along with accomplices who are still at large, raided Alfa and Omega Farm in Marondera while armed with three rifles, two pistols, bolt cutters, machetes and iron bars.

The gang reportedly ambushed Petros Mabunhu, a security guard employed by DM Security, assaulting him with iron bars and kicking him repeatedly. They tied his hands and legs with cable ties before forcing him into the farmyard. There, they encountered another guard, Zex Mutasa Rusike, and seized his shotgun, which was not loaded. They also tied Rusike and force marched him to the front guardroom, where a third guard, Medic Zhakata, was also attacked and restrained.

Two suspects were left guarding the three guards while the rest broke into the main house. They used bolt cutters to break through the burglar screen and kitchen door before confronting Mr Gerald Muteke in his bedroom. Fearing for his life, Mr Muteke surrendered US$18 000 in cash, a loaded Sarsilmaz pistol, and two Samsung smartphones (S23 and S24).

The gang then proceeded to Vimbai Muteke’s bedroom, where they demanded cash and keys to the safe. She handed over US$1 100, the safe key, and a Samsung Galaxy A35. Inside the main bedroom safe, the robbers took an additional US$55 000. As the robbers continued their raid, Elphas Maruta, armed with a Lee-Enfield .303 rifle loaded with four rounds, advanced toward the house after being alerted of the robbery.

A shootout ensued, with Maruta firing two shots and the suspects firing back three shots. The gang fled with a total of US$74 600 in cash and valuables. Police later recovered stolen property worth US$3 800.

The suspects were also implicated in a separate robbery on February 25, targeting Cossam Siminya at his residence. Around 3am, the gang, armed with pistols, sjamboks, iron bars, and a hammer, broke into Mr Siminya and his wife Precious Makore’s home. Ms Makore was awoken by the barking of dogs and alerted her husband after hearing banging noises at the back door. She called on neighbours to help while the robbers were forcing their way into the house.

The robbers allegedly confronted Panashe Zhuwawo, who was sleeping in a spare bedroom, and took his cellphone. Neighbours who responded to the call for help fled after one of the robbers fired two shots into the air. Meanwhile, the gang confronted another resident, Jane Manokore, stealing a 49-inch Samsung television set, cash totalling US$700, a cellphone and other valuables.

The robbers then entered Mr Siminya’s bedroom and stole US$10 000 in cash, an iPhone 14 Pro, a Tecno Spark 8, groceries, and other items. The suspects also raided a tuck shop on the property and severely assaulted Bosco Chidukudze before stealing a small Samsung cellphone. The total value of goods stolen in the second robbery was US$13 220 and nothing has been recovered.


Breaking News via Email

Enter your email address to subscribe to our website and receive notifications of Breaking News by email.